Students serve up inventive dishes with Uber Eats
Frying pans flew and ovens heated up in Escondido, California during the Uber Eats Cooking Competition at Orange Glen High School. As dough was prepped and vegetables diced, the classroom kitchen was abuzz with excitement as students set out on an exciting challenge to create a new menu item for two top restaurant partners that would be sold on Uber Eats. Each dish was evaluated on appearance, taste, marketing slogan, and sales pitch.
Over the course of the competition, students had the opportunity to learn about the restaurant industry from professionals at Los Primos Mexican Food,The Cravory, and Uber Eats. Students then applied all of their learnings to pitch their own dishes to a panel of school officials and restaurant owners.
Kristi Sovacool, a teacher at Orange Glen who leads the Advanced Baking and Pastry class, said of the project:
“Working with local restaurants and Uber Eats provides students a glimpse into ‘real life’ and the food industry. It was an experience they will never forget.”
The competition took place over two days. On Day 1, the Introductory Culinary Arts class tried their hand at recreating menu items from Los Primos Mexican Food. The Tres Amigos Burrito reigned supreme. It earned its name from the three proteins that make up its main ingredients (grilled chicken, sirloin adobada, and sauteed shrimp). Students Monica Luna, Ivan Soria, and Rodrigo Carrada topped off the Tres Amigos with a winning combination of sour cream, guacamole, french fries, and cheese.
On Day 2, the Advanced Baking and Pastry class tested out new recipes for The Cravory. During this leg of the competition the Razzle Dazzle Cookie took gold. The white chocolate cheesecake cookie proved too delicious to beat and students Celia De La Torre, Alma Anguiano, Joanna Payan, Jose Fabian, and Alec Ellsworth relished the victory.
Hungry to taste these two student creations?
If you’re ordering Uber Eats from your mobile phone or tablet, follow the instructions below:
- Download the Uber Eats app and add your delivery address
- Choose your restaurant: Tap the magnifying glass at the bottom of the app and search for Los Primos Mexican Food or The Cravory
- Place your order: Find the Razzle Dazzle or the Tres Amigos menu item in the restaurant’s menu, add to your cart, and checkout
- Track your order: Get live updates on the app as it’s delivered at Uber speed
Ordering from your desktop? Here’s how:
- Head to the Uber Eats website and add your delivery website
- Choose your restaurant: Search Los Primos Mexican Food or The Cravory
- Place your order: Find The Razzle Dazzle or the Tres Amigos menu item in the restaurant’s menu
- Track your order: Get live updates on the web as it’s delivered at Uber speed